1. Seed Sovereignty:
- Selection, &
2. Field-based Soil and Water Conservation:
- Structures such as bunds, check dams, rain pits and farm ponds with local material.
- Appropriate land use planning to decide area under farming and perennial green cover.
- Appropriate farming and forestry practices to decide identity of species comprising this green cover.
3. Development of Nutritious and Hardy Fruit Trees:
- Selection, &
|A mango variety bearing fruits twice a year. Photo taken in July. The fruit matured in September.|
4. Self-Reliant Farming for a Self-Reliant Farmer:
- Development of farming methods and technologies that require low external inputs but are highly regenerative of internal resources such as manure.
- A consortium of about 40 companion crops where food and nutritional security is achieved through subsistence crops and financial security is achieved through cash crops.
- Based on farm-land manure where even less is enough. Green manure through identification, selection and propagation of seemingly innocuous and weedy species such as grasses and several fabaceous species.
- Doing away with pesticides (through pest resistant varieties and crop combinations) and weedicides (by using weeds as green manure).
- Enhanced productivity, profitability, sustainability, stability, quality of life and freedom from anxiety and debts.
|Low-external input multi-cropping technique developed at the Alternative Agriculture Resource Centre, Chetana-Vikas|
5. Remunerative Prices to Agro-Produce based on Cost of Production:
We are part of several local, regional, national and international fora which fight for fair prices to the farmers.
6. Farmer-Centred, Consumer-Friendly Fair Trade:
We are active participants and advocates of Participatory Guarantee System (PGS) of certification for organic produce.